Thursday, May 8, 2008

New Paltz, NY--Day 4

No easy internet access until today so here is the first post of the trip.
On Sunday the 4th I flew to Hartford/Springfield Int'l (Bradley) to be picked up by Jim Smith, one my riding partners in chapter 2 of this trip. Leaving MSP, just after passing through security, there at the Travelers Assistance podium was my Aunt Barbara. It was great to see her and it made for a fun and reassuring departure. On the leg from Chicago to Bradley I was in seat 1A. You might think that was first class, but you would be wrong. Just a puddle jumper jet with one class of passenger. It got me there safe and on time so no complaints.
A short drive to Jim's in Southington later I met the dogs and unpacked my bike. All was in good order. It is always a challenge to organize myself when getting ready for these trips and to do it somone else's garage adds a little extra measure of confusion. But we got it done. Joan made a really wonderful dinner of good old steak and potatoes and baby carrots. Real comfort food for the start of an adventure.
Jim and I started out the next morning from Southington to get to Granby, where he would turn around and I would continue on, supposedly to meet Paul. 'Supposedly' because after lunch as Jim and I were taking some photos to mark one waypoint in the trip, up rolled Paul. At first I thought it was just another fully loaded bike tourist but then I recognized that it was him. I had not expected, nor did we plan to meet at that location.
The ride to Granby with Jim had been really pleasant. I learned from Jim that in CT, if you ride north/south the roads are flat. If you ride east/west, not so flat. As it was, our route was almost all no/so, good way to start.
From Granby Paul and I rode to Westfield, MA. There because not too far up the road in Southampton, is a brewpub. One of Paul's ambitions in life is to attend as many brewpubs in as many states as one can reasonably accomplish. This trip is planned for brewpubs and Amish country. I, of course, have no objection to finding brewpubs. There are some really nice brewpubs here and there. By the way, if you are ever in Southampton, skip the brewpub.
The cab ride to the brewpub, on the other hand, was really entertaining, if a little frightening at first. The cabby, when we got in the cab, was obviously in a bad mood. He kept getting cell phone calls from someone to whom he was not the least bit friendly. After we stopped for gas, which would make any of us grumpy, I asked him if he was having a rough day. He then launched into the tale of his recently returned girlfriend (this guy was in his 60s) who was a drunk and got the cops called to his house last night. He was driving like a maniac and I almost said something but thought better of it. We tried to be supportive, you know how men like to be supportive, and I gave him a big tip, because we needed him to pick us up after the brewpub experience, which we knew would be grand. Not. Anyway, on the way home he regaled us with tales of his BIKE RACING DAYS. No kidding. I think he was telling the truth and it was a hoot.
Next morning we rode back to CT and started a series of hills which, literally took our breath away. I had ridden this at the end on my 2005 cross country trip and must have been in a fog because I did not remember so much climbing. For Paul it was hard because he was still adjusting to the time zone change and getting his legs back. We made it a shorter day than expected and camped at Lone Oak campground in East Canaan, CT.
Next day we went through some more hilly countryside, some of it quite steep and long (especially Winchell Mtn), both the ups and the downs. Lovely countryside in western CT and upstate NY. We crossed the Appalachian Trail near Salisbury, stopped in Pine Plains, NY for lunch. Chatted with a native German who cycled a lot in Europe in his youth. He was fascinated with our trip and our gear, bikes, etc. It is always fun to have interaction with people who seem just amazed by what we are doing. I guess it must be a little crazy.
Last night we were in Rhinebeck, NY in the Hudson River valley, not far from West Point. We stayed in the same inn I had been in on the 2005 trip. Went through Poughkeepsie and across the Hudson this morning.
It might seem like it would be repetitious doing the same route that I did in 2005 again, but we are going the other direction and it is just as interesting and I like knowing a little about what is ahead.
Tonight we are motelling again, Super 8, in New Paltz. Guess what is here. A brewpub!
It is all good. More later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They there, Gary. Maria here. Great to see you back on the road!

Say, I think I saw you on W River Road (last weekend?). I was riding north and you south just near the Lake Street bridge over the Mississippi.

I think it is pretty cool you're doing some of the roads from the 2005 trip. Even if you're on the same road, everything looks different from the other direction. Same as life, I suppose.

Best of luck, Gary, and keep the rubber side down.

~Maria

Popper said...

You rock, well done...I"m jealous. Have fun and be safe. -ben