Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Final thoughts

Finishing something that has been anticipated and occurring for the duration of a long bicycle tour is certainly bittersweet. The satisfaction of accomplishment is something to treasure. The tolerance of those who put up with it and are impacted directly by it is very special. The support of those who care about you is inspiring. The self indulgence of such an endeavor, as much as it does still require some discipline and sacrifice, is something to ponder. But, life is short as we learn each day. I believe it is permitted to be a little self indulgent once in a while.

In many, many ways this was a great trip. It was uncertain, after two surgeries for a torn quadriceps tendon in 2008, that I would be capable to complete it. I have been. The weather, as it turned out, was great. There were several hot humid days but one learns to deal with that and on a bike, except when climbing a hill at 4 to 8 miles an hour, you create your own breeze. I have taken to wearing long sleeve shirts to tour in when I am in the sun all day. I find the sun beating on my arms saps my strength and it is not that much cooler to have bare skin. I had essentially no rain in 24 days of riding on this trip. Other touring cyclists are sick to hear this. I had one day out of Cascade, IA where the day was thick with fog and dampness, but no real rain. I had about 5 minutes of riding in the rain when I met Jim in Cave In Rock, IL. We had about 30 minutes of showers when riding from Bardstown, KY to Harrodsburg, KY and wore rain jackets for about 15 minutes of that. Riding along the Mississippi had long miles of spectacular vistas and great roads. The river is a mighty force and it is fun to flow with it. The small and medium sized towns along the river are historic and unique. Crossing the Ohio on a ferry, much better than the Missouri crossing on a bridge by the way, as you are going the same speed as the cars, is a kick. Observing the size and scope of these tributaries to the big river makes the Mississippi that much more impressive as it moves south.

The real experience of bicycle touring however, aside from the physical act, is the people you meet. My riding partner for the last 5 days, Jim Smith is a great fellow traveler. He is navigationally challenged and so I am somewhat surprised he found his way to our meeting point in Cave In Rock, but he is always good for a story and is very knowledgeable on many subjects and we are very compatible as to riding style and preferences. It is great to ride with someone when you are compatible. It makes the trip much better. Those you meet along the road are the real joy in this kind of travel. Those who truly want to help you and tell you their story, feed you, give you a bed to sleep in. Those who sign up for Warm Showers to host cyclists are special people and much appreciated. All of this is daily a revelation. True there are those who have other feelings about cyclists on the roads but they usually go away quickly in their speedy vehicle of motorcycle.

There were many more cyclists heading west than I have encountered before because of the time of year where those who started on the east coast were in the area we were riding in. It was a treat to stop and have a chat. I met riders from Germany, Holland, Belgium, Korea and the US.

This trip I also had more encounters with dogs than before. This is a scary prospect for many cyclists and I have had to learn from others and from experience how to deal. I found that it was easier than one might imagine. Rick McFerrin, world cycling tourist and friend, taught me to just slow down. My dog Chance taught me to just say NO with authority. It works when you are on a bike too. Most dogs chase out of instinct, not aggression and when they are aggressive you need to resort to other means. Never needed to on this trip.

So, as my Aunt Barbara says, I could write a book but this is enough for now.

It is good to be alive and thinking about getting back to real life.

-30-

No comments: