Saturday, May 22, 2010

Stuff happens

NOTE: This post got truncated somehow. I will fix it later.

So, I had a quiet evening in Dyersville. Never made it to the Field of Dreams field and filming site.

Next morning I headed out using a route suggested by Lyle when he dilivered my tube. The route was fine but a few miles down the road the fun began. My tire bead came off the rim of the wheel, like it had when I hit the rock. This time I stopped and prevented a blowout but when I tried to put the tire back on it came off the rim again, before I even had the wheel on the bike again. So I had to use my spare tire and I would not have a spare. I had awoke with a sore thoat and began to wonder if I should just stay in Dyersville, get things squared around and rest. I called Lyle again to see if he could help. He said he could get a new tire and another tube to me but it would take an hour or more. So in the end it took over 2 1/2 hours from start to finishe to get back on the road but Lyle came through again. Then, as I started out, the wind had come up and it was blowing hard. I got on the road, fighting the strong cross wind. Ran into Road Closed signs, figured I could get around what ever it was. Wrong. Had to detour, back on 136 to get to Cascade. The wind was the worst I have ever ridden in which actually says a lot after North Dakota. I limped into Cascade and determined that I would need to find a place to stay in this motel-less community. They have a beautiful stone City Hall and I went in. Shelley was behind the desk. Deputy Clerk. I explained my plight and my hope to find a cyclist or someone in town who could put me up. Between the wind and the coming rain camping did not look inviting and I was not feeling particularly well. She found a terrific guy, Jerry Volk, and his wife Mary, who agreed to let me stay with them. It turned out great. I had a great stay with them, and their dog Chance.
Next day was soggy and I rode only about 30 miles to Lowden and stayed at the Lincoln Hotel, one of the last surviving original hotels on the Lincoln Highway, the country's first cross country highway. Weather cleard over night and I made it to Muscatine today. Now it will be strategy time as I am a day behind my schedule. Hopefully Jim, who I plan to meet in Cave in Rock, and I can connect and synchronize our plans.
Supposed to have heat and headwinds tomorrow so it could get more interesting yet.

No comments: