Tuesday, May 25, 2010

You meet the nicest people...

riding a bike.

The part of the previous post which got eaten by the computer somehow basically recalled how I got some advice on my route in Marquette, IA, half of which was great and half of which was pretty darn bad. The first part of that day was great with wonderful roads, even with a designated bike lane. The last part, especially the last few miles from New Vienna to Dyersville were horrendous. In Dyersville luck changed because I asked if the guy who ran the closed bike shop was still around. He was and he delivered a spare tube to me at my hotel. That is Lyle who then helped me out the next day.

So now we are caught up to Muscatine. Next destination Burlington. The ride from Muscatine to Burlington was very nice. The day turned very hot and the wind was in my face but I got to Burlington about 1:30. It was a 63 mile day and I felt I had done as much as I wanted to. My original plan was to keep riding another 20 or so miles to Jess and Doris Lionberger's place. They are a Warmshowers site. That is an online organization where people make themselves available to host touring cyclists if you notify them ahead of time. I called them after I had already checked into a motel. If I had called earlier they probably would have just driven in and picked me up. Oh well.

When I arrived in Burlington I was immediately impressed by the activity and the appearance of the city. It was a Sunday and there was some kind of graduation reception in the terminal building on the riverfront. They have a great Welcome center there. I got great information there. Went to lunch at Big Muddy's. Nice buffet brunch. I think it was my first "senior" meal. $10.99, all you can eat. Good to be old!?!? As I left the restaurant the bicycle police were riding to the riverfront top speed and sirens were all around. A 13 yo had fallen off a dock and drowned.

The ride to Burlington had several road kill turtles and several live ones. They must be moving to lay their eggs. Roads are not good for turtles and other living things. Again I have observed that birds really suffer. Lots of song birds. Bluebirds, cardinals, goldfinches, orioles. Even a hawk on the roadside.

From Burlington, on Monday, I rode to Jess and Doris' place to have a break for pie. Soon, after the pie I was eating breakfast and soon we were having lots of biking conversation and it was getting hot and hotter by the minute. 98% humidity. I decided it was too good a place to leave so soon so I stayed for the day and night. They are in the midst of projects around their farm house and worries about trying to get the rest of their planting done but welcomed me anyway. They are really wonderful supporters of cyclists and cycling, as well as cyclists themselves. After a day of relaxation, reading, napping we took off for Burlington to prepare packets for the bike races in Burlington this coming weekend. Turns out Jess and Doris are responsible for registration and this was the night to stuff envelopes with the numbers of preregistered entrants in the Burlington road race and the Snake Alley Criterium. It was fun to participate and help. I had a chance to ride past Snake Alley on my way to the motel yesterday. It is billed as the world's crookedest street. It is on a hill, a 12% grade, which is really steep. The Category 1/pro racers go up that thing 20 times in their race.

Today promised to be hot and humid again. I got an early start out of Lionberger's and made good progress. The temperatures were not as bad as yesterday and there was a slight headwind to help keep me cooler. The ride was along the river for quite a distance and was very pleasant. I made it to Warsaw at about 10:30 for eggs and biscuits and gravy and some great conversation with locals in the "bakery". I learned that the point out on the river where there is an obelisk commemorating Zachary Taylor, is the only point where you can see 3 different cities in 3 different states. Warsaw, IL, Keokuk, IA and Alexandria, MO. Can you figure out what is unique about these 3 cities?

On the way in to Quincy, IL, today's destination, I ran in to George Reed. He is a friend of Jess and Doris's who is really in to bike touring and was just returning home from several weeks on the road. I had talked to him last night and he had given me some vital road closed information in MO. If I had not stayed with Jess and Doris I would not have learned this and would have had an unpleasant surprise tomorrow. We thought we might end up at the same motel in Quincy tonight but he got to Q at noon and 'only' had another 60 miles to go to home so he is pushing on. He said he would get to Warsaw, about 30 miles from home and call his sister to come pick him up.

So there we are. So far so good. Tomorrow I will cross to MO at Louisiana (city in MO). There could be rain.

Later.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Okay, I have registered again with Google and now we will see if my new account works. I have loved following your adventures so much and hope this works. Today I am hoping you are having a little nicer day. Not to hot not to windy. I am so happy to hear about all the nice you have met along the way. Life can be so good. Keep trekking and love you,