Tuesday, June 14, 2016

All good things........

Here we go again. This is not the first time this has happened. I am ending the trip early. I think I have now confirmed the limits of my mental and physical capacity.

So far on the trip I have felt pretty good most days with pace and distance of our rides. I know that Jim could definitely go faster and longer but he is very tolerant of my capacity. He knew it coming in from our previous rides. With the wind and the temperature yesterday and the days of riding I had reached my limit. I also think I have a real limit on my days away from home alone.

Jim could see it and at breakfast he brought the subject up, that if I had reached the end he was OK with my stopping and going back. Our location in Silver Bay, within easy reach of Duluth, and the ability to take up John on his offer for 'rescue' if needed, made the decision easy, given my mental and physical state. I was not feeling completely out of gas, but certainly knew that my legs did not have a lot of headwind and climbing miles in them at this point. So I did.

We had another unexpectedly great breakfast at the Northwoods Family Grill in Silver Bay. Stop there if you are in the area. It is really a great surprise. I saw Jim off to ride to Grand Marais on his own with a mix of regret and relief. I would be heading home with a tailwind. I rode back to Duluth after talking to Kelli. John and Chelly graciously offered to have me stay at their place again. Also, John offered to drive me part of the way toward St. Paul so Kelli had a shorter drive to come pick me up.

So now I just need to find a way to get to my car in Sault Ste. Marie. We will figure it out.

Tailwinds Jim.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just remember that you gave it your best !!!

I think it was great that you gave it your all and there is absolutely nothing to feel bad about.

Happy trails, Jim

PS: Now when your up to it, just go for some casual fun rides and a few beers after ;>)