Thursday, June 23, 2016

The rest of the story

When I rolled into Duluth I just happened to run into John and Teddy (the terminally happy big yellow dog) on a walk to the hardware store. It was one of those timing/coincidence things that are just hard to fathom.  I took them up on their hospitality and spent the balance of the day mostly relaxing.  I took them out to dinner at Zeitgeist on Superior St. It is a fun place with good and interesting food if you are in Duluth. John agreed to drive me to Hinckley to meet Kelli.  We left the next day early enough that we had time to enjoy the expansive salad bar at Cassidy's restaurant just off the I-35 exit. John waited around for a while until Kelli arrived just at the time we had planned.

It was good to get home. To give Kelli a hug and enjoy her great cooking again. And of course to give the Chance dog a hug as well. The bags got unpacked and I was feeling relaxed and relieved. Being away from home on a trip like that has its own particular challenges for all involved and were all happy to be back together.

The previous day in Duluth I had spent some time scouting out options to get to Sault Ste. Marie, ON to retrieve my car. I was delighted when my old college roommate, friend for 50 years, Rick Fletcher said he could drive with me. We would leave on Friday, drive to SSM, Michigan, as Rick's passport was not current, and I would ride my bike across the International Bridge to get the car in Canada. Rick and I had a really nice time on the drive. We had certainly not had that much time together for 50 years. With stops and losing an hour to the time zone the drive took 11 hours.  By the time we checked in to our luxury suite at the Budget Inn we were ready for a walk and a brew.  Luckily we got both with a stroll to the Wicked Sister 6 blocks down the street.  Good food and good local craft beer selection. 

Next morning we followed the local recommendation to do breakfast at Frank's Place downtown on Portage Ave.  Convenient because I could ride on Portage right to the entrance to the bridge.  It was a quiet, beautiful morning.  Another great breakfast on the road.  I got the bike ready to ride and we each went on our way. Rick drove alone the whole way back and made it to our house with Kelli's car about 8:30 on Saturday. Heroic.

The ride over the bridge, which I have done once in each direction, was easy again. Actually easier without 50 pounds of gear, and the traffic again was very light, again. Did not measure but I am thinking it is a good 2 miles across and quite a view from up there.

I knew my way to the Watertower Inn.  Easy to spot.  There's a watertower there. The car was fine. Undamaged, still clean and full of petrol, as we say in Canada.  I headed north on route number 17, the Transcanada Highway to see what I had missed riding.  It was not long, only a few miles out of Soo, when I first thought, "I could not do this".  Well, obviously, but really, seeing it made my decision not to continue all the more appropriate.  The Canadian side of the the lake is much different than the US side.  Very mountainous and wild.  There are a lot of parks and attractions and several small towns but the country is absolutely gorgeous and awe-inspiring. I am so glad I drove it and saw it and so glad I did not find myself in the middle of it and unable to go on, as opposed to having that realization 50 miles from Duluth.

Jim and I had kept in touch and the plan was for me to watch for him on the road as I drove and he rode and we could connect for a few minutes.  That is what happened as I saw him as he approached White River, ON. I turned around on the highway and we stopped and chatted for several minutes.  Jim looked good and seemed unfazed by the hills and the highway.  I was just as happy to drive on but very proud of Jim who was on track to finish 3 days earlier than our original plan.  Jim did finish yesterday, 3 days early, and arrived home today.

So, I did get all the way around the lake.  In a car for the most challenging part, and more than halfway on the bike, for the easier part. I will take it.  It is what it is.  Happy to have been able to give it a try.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gave it all you had and no shame in that.

Have a great summer!!!!

Cheers, Jim